Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Results for the FNSI

So we have this bench by our back door. It's the door we use most. Everyone comes in the door and kicks off their shoes.. throws their backpacks.. takes off their gloves and hat.. and sometimes hangs up their coats. 

We have this crate there..


It's where all the mittens, hats and scarves are supposed to go. And in the summer time, we used it for baseballs.. and baseball gloves.. and footballs.

Well, I've never been a fan of how it looked. I thought I needed to find a pretty basket, or something that was nicer to look at.

Then I found this tutorial... "The Undercover Crate". The minute I saw the tutorial, I knew it was the perfect solution.



It looks so much better doesn't it. (It helps I cleaned up the floor.. but we won't talk about that)


I used one of my "Quilt Minnesota" charm packs from last year. I love this fabric.

Do you see my mistake on the picture? The white square is upside down.. aahh. who cares! I love it anyway.

I love the FNSI - if it wasn't for the sew in last night, I would have put this project off again!! Thank you to all of you for keeping me motivated!!

How about you? Did you get a lot done?

Don't forget to come back tomorrow and see who the winners are! Bobbi will be drawing and mailing the prizes this time and they are G.O.O.D!!

Pin It

23 comments:

Foolish Feathers said...

Great Job on your finish! I love that idea and I was just given as many milk crates as I want (I have 4 right now), this would be a great idea to hide a little of what they are! Thank you so much for sharing the link as well.

A Creative Life said...

Looking very nice now. All neat and tidy.

Wonky Girl said...

Aw, love the crate cover! I bet you could cover any sturdy box to make it look better. Thanks for the idea :)

RobynLouise said...

Having fun looking at other's FNSI projects as I was floored with a virus this week and spent Friday night being a lounge lizard. Really like the crate cover!
Cheers,
Robyn

Anonymous said...

I have some of those crates... what a great way to make them look more presentable.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Love the colours and fabrics..

Manda said...

Looks great! I am exactly the same if it wasn't for fnsi i wouldn't have got anything done last night!

Bobbi said...

ive seen that tutorial and was wondering how it would be. LOVE IT! i hate those close to the door baskets. but they are a must.

great way to make something crafty and practical!

Anonymous said...

Heidi it looks fantastic and brightens the room up 100%,well done

Deanna said...

Nice job on your crate! It really does look nice. Are you going to make seasonal covers?

I was pleased with my sew-in results and look forward to next month already.

Thank you again for your hosting efforts each month (and sometimes twice!).

Mistea said...

Your cover up is perfect for such a practical crate.
Thank you for hosting FNSI every month it sure helps me to kick start weekend crafting.
Have a wonderful festive season.

sunny said...

That is so cute, Heidi! Everyone needs a catch-all, and it looks like you've found the perfect solution.

Marg said...

Fantastic. Just love it. Who doesn't need one, two or more of these. Now, to get everyone to put there things in! Good luck. I had a fantastic "finishing" time on Friday night and have extended it through the weekend. thanks for the motivation. Happy Christmas.

Cindy said...

That is pretty darn awesome!! I think I will be checking out that tutorial myself!

FlyAwayHome said...

Perfect. I looks so much better than just an ugly ol' crate.

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Looks wonderful! I love the crate cover, really love the fabric! I have a bin of Minnesota fabric still waiting to be used.

Happy Holidays and Happy quilting!

Anonymous said...

I managed to stitch a few hours on my UFO...it was nice to know there were so many of us working aways like crazy! I even heard from a fellow blogger she was using the time to wrap, wrap, wrap!
Great Crate Idea...makes it so much more welcoming.

Kathy said...

That's a great basket liner and I think it has a wonderful look considering you made it from the Minnesota Shop Hop charms! I have a pack of those blues and I haven't used them yet. Now your crate looks completely different. Well Done!

Robin said...

What an awesome idea! And it looks great! Thanks for the link to the tutorial. :)

Anonymous said...

That crate cover is a beautiful idea. Must do one (or more!). I still haven´t find a table for my sewingroom, so it´s a bit hard to sit on the floor and sew. Didn´t get much done. The next time there´s a FNSI I hope I can be more participation.
Gun, Sweden

Craft to Do said...

Great job, it looks alot more homely.
I have really enjoyed FNSI this year. It is great to set aside time in busy lives to stop and just sew. With my Mum being far away it is also nice to know that she is doing the same thing.
Merry Christmas
Enjoy all loved ones around you.
Happy sewing in the New Year

Kay Lynne said...

Looks great and hide the crate :) Have a Merry Christmas!

Pattilou said...

Love that "crate" idea. I'll have to make one for our son. ...well maybe! It is cute though and does seem to make the front door "droppings" more visually controlled.