Thursday, April 1, 2010

Calm.. Cool.. and Collected.. not really!

So I was in my sewing room.. music on.. window open.. birds singing.. dog at my feet.. totally relaxed.
All of a sudden.. DING DONG...

It was the Mailman.. special delivery..

We ordered these weeks ago.. the kids have been waiting patiently.. and today they arrived.

Now - if you know me at all, you know I'm horrible in emergency situations. So the message on the box made me panic a little.. ok a lot.

I thought to myself "OMG.. I need to let them out.. but the boys are at school and they really wanted to do this.. but OMG.. it says OPEN IMMEDIATELY.. can they breath in there" I looked at the dog and actually said out loud "Biscuit, what do I do?" She looked anxious too.. I mean, the Mailman knew the importance too. Otherwise he would have left them in the mailbox instead of bringing them to the door.

But then I took a deep breath and my rational side woke up and I realized they had made it this far - they can wait a few more hours until school is out. 

Trust me - if there is an emergency - you'll find me in the corner sucking my thumb. I have no idea why I'm like this!  


Anyway - I'm sure some of you have done the butterfly garden before and loved it. This is our first time and I will keep you updated on their progress. Can't wait to see what they look like.
Pin It

11 comments:

Jan said...

You've got me laughing. The solution to the panic, is taking deep breaths. I'd tell you to meditate, but it's the same thing.

Love the idea of the butterfly garden. I'm looking forward to your updates.

Unknown said...

LOL - they should be fine til they get home from school - I used to get them all of the time was Sabrina was little....

Poppyprint said...

oooh, this is gonna be fun for you and your kids! You may want to cover up the table that the garden sits on...when they did this at my kids' preschool, a lot of sticky, honey-like stuff (is it the food?) ends up on the outside of the mesh and on the surface below as well. Can't wait for butterfly pix!

Anonymous said...

I'm anxiously awaiting myself...wonder how many are in there?

OliveStreetStudio said...

good for you and them. I was just reading that the monarchs are 'dying' due to the storms - I have a butterfly bush out back and hope to see alot this year. :-) But yours sounds like a fun project.

Needled Mom said...

At least you had a warning. My DH ordered some orchard mason bees while we were undergoing a renovation here. The box arrived and was put in the bedroom (only place not in shambles) and completely forgotton about. Pretty soon we had a few strange looking bees in the bedroom and he realized what that was all about. I have no idea how they managed to get out of the box.

Wendy said...

That's funny, I would have thought the same thing, are they okay in the box? I hope so.

Val said...

I am the same way. Little things get me so anxious. I can't wait to see them.

Pat said...

Oh my goodness. How cool is that. I can hardly wait to see the results. This is so cute, my dear. thank you for sharing.

julia said...

One of the Kindergarten teachers at my school did this every year. The kids loved it!

Junie Moon said...

We do this each year, too, and release the new butterflies once they're ready to fly. Like you, I was really anxious about making sure they were okay when the package first arrived.